Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Final Countdown!

We are just about down to 27 days (and a few minutes) as I type this ... I cannot believe we are finally so close to being together once again!! I recently looked back through some photos and found a screenshot of our countdown clock, and it read 65 days. I remember thinking, "Wow! That's just over two months! So close!" and now, here we are, just a few more weeks to go and Aidan and I will FINALLY be together. I can't wait!!

Today was Aidan's birthday. I had sent off a box of goodies a couple weeks ago just to make sure it got there in time, but it was still fun to find birthday memes to send and post to Aidan's Facebook wall. Little Jillian took it upon herself to draw an adorable picture wishing Aidan a happy birthday, so I posted a photo of that for him, as well. OH it's so hard to be apart on such a special day, though!! Every time another special day happens, a birthday or holiday, especially our monthly anniversary, it is harder and harder to be so far away from him. I can't wait to spend all of these special days --- and all of the regular days --- together.

People I run into often ask how Aidan and I met, and I happily share our unique iPhone Dating app story with them. A few weeks ago, someone stopped by to shop through my antiques, and we were discussing Aidan and I, and my upcoming visit to Ireland. Well, a few nights ago, I received a text from her inquiring about the site we used to meet on, because she was so inspired by our love story that she decided to try dating again, after several years of being alone. I was so touched to hear that Aidan and I have become an inspiration to someone else in this world. The love we have found is amazing, and I could only wish this kind of love for others, too.

My mom and I went on a mini shopping spree the other night. I have been looking desperately for a raincoat to take with me to the Emerald Isle that is oh so full of rainy days. Finally, I found one. I love it. It's very light, easily dressed up or dressed down, black (my favorite clothing color) with little ruffle details on the pockets and collar. However, we found out it was clearanced out so cheap that I just HAD to buy a second one -- in GREEN! Such a happy shade of green, too. I mentioned to Aidan that he'll have to help me decide which one to pack. Well, not long after, Aidan shared with me a conversation he'd had with his aunt about me packing and planning, finding my Wellies, and buying a raincoat. His aunt piped up and told him to tell me to bring TWO raincoats, one to wear, and the other to top that one! I was tickled about that conversation and decided it's just a sign, I must bring both coats. :-)

I have to admit, until now it's really seemed more like a dream, that Jillian and I are headed to be with Aidan; but now it's really really sinking in. I find myself barely being able to sit still these days. I'm dying to pack my suitcase and just go spend the next few weeks sitting at the airport because I can think of little else!! And I love that Aidan and I are so much on the same page....We talk about how wonderful it will be to be together, and he even shared how much he's looking forward to his work days, just so he can come back home and find me there waiting for him. Truly I must be dreaming. He makes me so happy!!!

I am so appreciative of the opportunity to see where Aidan grew up, to spend time with his family, and to meet his friends. I want to see photos of he and his siblings when they were little and hear them share stories of what it was like growing up together. All of this is priceless to me. I can't wait to play together with Aidan and his "wee" nephews. I have so enjoyed seeing them together on Skype! He's so good with kids. Jillian has heard me say this so many times that I can see how excited she is about getting to spend time with Aidan, too. That makes my heart happy.

Aidan's friends continue to warn him that once I set foot on that green soil, I may never want to leave. I chatted with one of my close friends last night, who out of no where announced that she'd already told her husband, should we decide to live in Ireland, that she's getting her passport and coming to visit. It's my mom's WORST fear, for me to want to stay there. And everyone else seems to just assume it! Regardless, we can be thankful that we are living in a time when the world is pretty small and accessible. 150 years ago, when people immigrated here to America, they almost never ever were able to return to their home country. Now, Aidan and I will be able to go back and forth. Granted, it's still pricey, but it's definitely doable.

I also can't begin to grasp what this experience will be like for my daughter. There are so many new things for her during this trip. Not only such a long flight for the first time in her life, but jet lag. She has no idea what that feels like. Another culture, dialect and accents, different foods, and activities. And over and above all of it, getting to know Aidan for the first time in person after all these months on Skype! I can't wait to see them together. I'm excited for both of them to get to know each other better. He has such a big heart and the fact that he's not only offering to share it with me, but with my children, is so precious. I'm also happy for her that she too will be getting to know Aidan's family, and that they are so warmly welcoming us there.

And as I continually dream about that first moment when we see each other in Dublin airport, getting to stare in each other's eyes once again and finally melt together in a much-longed for kiss, I think back to our first meeting last year in Charlotte, when I stared up at Aidan and got lost in his eyes, and felt his first kiss...Feeling as if the world had stopped spinning in that moment -- This love we'd found, frozen in time in that split second of new togetherness....I just want to feel that again. Soon soon soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment