Thursday, March 20, 2014

St. Patrick's Day and All Things Irish

March came in and is now almost over. It's hard to believe it's been over three months since Aidan and were together in NC. As grueling as it's felt to be apart, we have managed to survive it and see the time passing. Thank God for technology and the ability to chat over video. It's truly made all the difference when having to deal with this distance for so long. It's also helped to be able to realize that in a few months, Jillian and will be flying over to spend most of the summer in Ireland. And today my renewed passport arrived in the mail, helping all the more for me to realize that I'm not dreaming all this up! I just can't wait to get there. And, being that we're in the middle of March, Irish-American Heritage Month, I can't go anywhere without seeing shamrocks and everything green displayed for St. Patrick's Day. I have to admit, I've never taken so much time to reflect over this holiday as I have this year.

St. Patrick's Day for my family has never been a big celebration. My mom makes the traditional corned beef and cabbage and we wear green, that's about it. We aren't drinkers so none of us have ever done the pub crawl thing and I don't even remember attending a St. Patrick's Day parade as a kid (granted we aren't in a very big town, though, either.) This year, St. Patrick's Day felt a little different for me, and for my family. Even my mother mentioned, "It's funny now, [St. Patrick's Day] has more meaning somehow."

As it went, on the evening of St. Patrick's Day, I headed over to my parents' for dinner. Aidan and I gabbed over video chat as my mom was almost done cooking. He had watched a parade on TV and the commentator visited with a few parade-goers on camera, asking how far they'd come to see the parade. One man he spoke with said he'd brought his family all the way there from PORT HURON, Michigan. THAT'S MY TOWN! Of the millions of cities across the U.S., how ironic that someone from little ole' Port Huron would be over there, right now!! We only have about 42K people here, I'm dying to know who it was. How funny!!

As I mentioned before, Aidan and I are both on Facebook and we often flirt back and forth on there, as well as post pics and inspirational quotes for each other. My friends online have been following along and are well aware that I am taking my daughter and heading to the Emerald Isle come June. With so many Irish-inspired pics and posts floating around the internet for St. Patrick's Day, many of my friends have purposely shared several with me, posting them on my Facebook wall. It's been so sweet to see the support and interest in our little unfolding love story. I truly am touched by it. I also think it's brilliant that this beautiful Irish country and rich culture has now gained so much attention among my friends, because of the fact that Aidan and I got together. My friend Jill from NY has hunted down more Irish tidbits, quotes, and photos than even I have on Facebook. It's so delightful! Not to mention the sheep -- several of my friends are also sharing photos of Irish sheep with me as well. What a hoot! Some friends have even revealed that they have an Irish ancestry, which I didn't
realize. It's really been enjoyable to witness. While the majority of the U.S. hasn't grasped the concept of March being Irish-American Awareness Month (instead, seeing it as only a month that holds an Irish holiday,) a group of Facebook friends scattered about all over the world have begun to embrace Irish culture amongst themselves and with me, and for that I am thankful. Recognizing, learning about, and respecting any culture is enriching -- and the fact that Aidan being in my life has inspired many to learn more about Ireland makes me very happy.

I keep daydreaming about my trip in June. I'm beginning to make mental notes about what to pack, what not to pack, wondering which dulcimer I'll try to take or maybe I'll ship it. I thought back to my first trip to Europe when I was 16 that I took with my high school German class. It was 1990, the era of big hair, matching purses and shoes, and at 16, everything was about style and looking "just right." I was no exception. It never dawned on me that style and fads in America may not be in line with those in Germany. I just packed as much as I could stuff into my large suitcase. As in, eleven pair of shoes. Four purses. Countless outfits. Makeup. Loads of hairspray. Three jackets. Yes, it weighed a TON and I had left no room for souvenirs. ELEVEN pair of shoes??! I think back to that and literally cringe. The first five or six days, I kept my American pace going. But, ever so slowly, I began to notice that I stuck out like a sore thumb. One thing that was important to me was experiencing the culture -- not just visiting it, but learning to blend, finding things outside of the tourist areas, off the beaten path. It wasn't long before my crisp, flashy American style began to give way to un-ratted hair pulled back in a messy bun, less makeup, and pant legs that were not rolled tightly at the ankles. By the time I flew back home a month later, I found out I had become unrecognizable. My own mom looked right past me as I deboarded the plane. I'd had my 'lightbulb' moment and I know I was forever changed by it. Of course I was still the same American teenager ... but I had adopted a few things about the German culture that I wanted as my own. And so it's gone that way over the years. I think it's a gift, the ability to experience and embrace this awesome world full of cultures and people.

Speaking of embracing cultures: Aidan LOVES country music. Steel guitars, honky tonk, cowboy boots ... LOVES it. In fact, being back home in Ireland, he's even spent part of an evening watching country music on TV with his parents. Until Aidan, I hadn't considered the fact that the sounds of country music would be enticing to anyone outside of this continent. It seems so ... American  ... to me. Ridiculous, I know, I know. Aidan told me that many people he knows there also love country. The irony is, I love traditional
Irish music just as much or more than Aidan loves his country; I always have. I've never been able to get enough of it. I don't know how many albums I've had over the years, tunes I've learned on the dulcimer, and concerts I've attended of Irish music. I listen to it and I feel it in my soul. Me discovering a love for Irish music as a little girl never seemed out of the ordinary to me, after all our country is a melting pot, and we are just a big blend of international flavors here in the States, Irish included. Aidan and I just spoke about this the other day. He reminded me of the Scots-Irish immigrants in the southern states and the influence their music has had in America; country music definitely has taken some inspiration from those roots. It's making more sense to me now. And considering others that love country, if there ever was a #1 Irish fan of Garth Brooks, it's Aidan's sister, Fionnuala. She ADORES Garth. While I'm there, Garth Brooks will actually be in concert in Dublin, and it's a GIGANTIC affair. Guess who landed tickets? Fionnuala! She was --and is-- on cloud nine! How awesome is THAT??! Five concerts at Croke Park in Dublin sold out in TWO HOURS. That's one lucky Irish lass, that Fionnuala! What a sweet girl ... I can't wait to meet her in person and spend time with her!!! 


And so, as the time passes slowly, I will continue to plan my packing strategy for the trip, which will not include eleven pairs of shoes. I need to find Jillian and I a waterproof jacket for the rain, and I've read from seasoned travelers to Ireland that taking clothes that layer is the way to go. And of course, my beloved green Wellies are on top of the pile, even if I have to wear them on the plane, should they be too heavy for my suitcase.  But you know what? I'd board a plane right this second without anything but the clothes on my back if it meant I could be with Aidan sooner. I miss him like mad and cannot WAIT to get there.


No comments:

Post a Comment